Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Chapter 114: Youth Issues

In a nutshell, a limited amount of real experiences and a limited amount of understanding and finally a whole lot of "I know what I am doing" or "I know that, go on to something I don't know" syndrome. 

Most of the younger generation have lived a pretty cushy life and lifestyle and then there is that zero life experience thing along with barely any exposure to violence of the kind that is forbidden in todays society as a "bad thing." 

Then there is an aspect of experiences and age that rears up often in the youth, "poor judgment." Let's say contributing factors are ego, status and other young/youthful group dynamics (unless the group as aged members who can let then know, "don't do that."). 

Think, perspective, for without the age along with relevant and lots of experience that perspective is one that doesn't see, know or understand those things we don't know we don't know (thanks Mr. MacYoung). This is a problem. For instance, approached by another young person who does something like bump into them spilling a drink, they think, "talk the talk to straighten out this ombre" and then fists fly or simply be polite, say nicely "sorry" and then continue to enjoy the evening. No ego, no loss of face/status and on with the merriment - youth often don't get that perspective until they reach a certain age, teachings and understanding. 

There are things I didn’t get even in the later years, I are in my sixties now, and even today at this writing I am learning things about life in general and my egoistic attitude that spell “dump asshole” that I am still trying to make better. Likened to the one-stop self-defense world in karate, there are never single simple answers for anything, even when there are, because the next moment things, in and outside yourself, that will change and you had better change with it. I have one motivation I didn’t have in my very early and youthful years, I don’t want to be an “asshole” anymore. 

As one professional said, “this is why we have mentors.” Those older folks who have lived the life you want to live and who have the wisdom, smarts and experiences to lead you down a better path - if only the youthful will listen. Yeah, listening is a big one and in my sixties I am still learning that one. 

The real challenge for anyone mentoring the youth, especially the youth of today’s tech-social revolution, is getting them to let go of that “I know everything already” attitude so they actually actively listen to you then take that advice and carry on. But …

Didn’t happen in my dad’s day, didn’t happen in my day and now ain’t happening in the modern tech savvy socially driven media of modern times. Like the guy is about clicking a button rather than the face-to-face ongoing relationship of exchange and experiences that make the group dynamic, solid and strong. Hmmmm

Yet, we humans all survive … ain’t life a kick?

No comments:

Post a Comment