Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Chapter 92: Understanding

Understanding ‘huhh’, what is it good for … absolutely EVERYTHING! Sing it again!

People reading and hearing me, hear me say the term, "understand or understanding," a lot. I do this because I want those who follow my efforts to truly "understand" when I say, "understand" that it gets its full Monty. 

For instance, did you actually know and understand the meaning of the term, "understand?" Here is an except from an article by Marc MacYoung that inspired me to write about it if for no other reason that to give my readers a bit of clarity so they understand what I am attempting to accomplish. 

"If you only understood..." by Marc MacYoung

First, ask yourself, are you more of a noun or adjective kind of person when you use the word 'understanding.' Second, ask someone who's using it the same question."

You'll find the source of all kinds of disconnect and talking past other people.

un·der·stand·ing
ˌəndərˈstandiNG/

1.(noun) the ability to understand something; comprehension.
2.(adjective) sympathetically awareof other people's feelings;tolerant and forgiving.
3.(archaic) having insight or good judgment.

I highlighted those inner-terms that I feel are critical to the person or persons who would strive for understanding of the myriad of things that make up martial arts and karate. Not that people don’t understand the term but to remind people of what that entails. Reminding folks of things is what they do to continue learning and as one who tries to mentor others in their way it is imperative that when I present things I do so in a manner that foster’s and reminds others of what it means to, “understand.”

There is this question I ask myself before I tell someone something that effects them personally, I ask, “Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?” Then I say to myself, “Is it how the other person will receive it, true, necessary and kind?” This is how I would judge my efforts using the second definition, I.e., a more empathetic or sympathetic aspect because most people would assume the questions are about how they, personally, feel rather than considering how the other person would feel. It is now a matter of perspective; his/hers, yours or others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment