Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Chapter 131: The Legal System

I have not had the misfortune of facing criminal or civil charges in our legal system. Although I teach this in martial self-protection, I have not had to face charges. I have been involved in a few criminal and civil court proceedings not as the defendant, etc., but as witness, juror and one time as a codefendant. 

First, as a codefendant I faced a judge because, simply, the attorney bringing suit against a person I knew literally threw out a blanket to bring in as many possible defendants as he could to inundate the court and misdirect in the possibility that one would stick and make him money. 

When my turn came to stand at the podium and face questions by the judge being nervous does not do the feeling justice, especially since I could not understand why I was being sued. The judge asked me what my part was in this and I responded, somewhat, "I don't know your honor, all I did was date his ex-girlfriend for a bit." 

He looked at the attorney and I can only guess his experience with him told the story, my luck you can say, and immediately dismissed me from the proceedings without prejudice. I would not want to be that attorney from the look I saw the judge give. 

Anyway, that could have gone in a different direction and cost me time and money for all the necessities of a legal proceeding regardless of my involvement either way. Add in the other times as juror in one civil and one criminal case and I can tell you the legal system is weird and you don't want to have to allow your life and living to be a legal system target. 

Add in my research and study on the entire system of self-defense, with many stories told by those who lived and worked where a legal system is involved from first responders to civil suits even after winning the legal battle. It is, to my perception, more dangerous and chaotic than experiencing actual violence in an attack. If you survive an attack without legal involvement at least it is over and done and all that is left is the healing processes. The legal system can make it more of a crapshoot.

Beware the legal system, take the time as a sensei and student of martial self-protection to research, analyze and then understand that system in your locale because it matters long before you have to use your karate skills to protect yourself and others. 

Note: See the bibliography to lean more then find the legal systems laws governing the various self-defense laws, etc., as a requirement of self-defense training and defense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment